Saturday, October 31, 2009

Treats not Trix

Last weekend I attended ASG at Hilton Head, South Carolina. This is one of my favorite retreats each year. Our classes this year centered around a nautical theme. Rae Iverson of Moss Creek Designs was our hostess and teacher, along with Jackie du Plessis of It's Fine-ally Finished, and Marcy Pumphret of Scrimshaw by Marcy. I must say, I approached Marcy's class with intimidation. How could someone with no artistic ability enjoy or get anything from this mere 4 hour block of time? Well, I am here to tell that I not only survived but I had a great time. Marcy is a very patient and gracious teacher. She made us all believe in our ability to at least try the the technique and each person left class with a greater appreciation for the art of scrimshaw and each piece that we own or hope to collect in the future.
Jackie's piece for this year was The Ship to Shore Etui ( sailboat with pinkeep and needlebook sails, scissor holder and option scrim anchor) and Rae's piece was a Fish Purse Etui. Both pieces are just stunning. It will be hard to decide which to stitch first.

This week I finished stitching Softly Walk, tonight I will be working on Something Wicked. I was almost able to get it done but, I need another couple of hours to finish the verse and put in the border.

Gwen

2 comments:

CJ in OK ;-) said...

Sounds like a wonderful retreat. But don't you know Trix are for kids. CJ ok;-)

Siobhán said...

It sounds like a wonderful time!