Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Strawberry Harvest

 I didn't get much stitching done over the weekend, but I have a finish to share. Using the hints and tips from our last Guild meeting, I finished my strawberries. While our group leader cover the wrapped spider web and the gathered felt top, I took another route for the tops. I decided to follow the technique from the project instructions, my notes and this tutorial by Sandy to come up with three different toppers. I discovered several other ways to finishing the tops, and realized that deciding how to finish the top may be as much fun as deciding what materials to use and what to stitch on the strawberries.

Christmas Strawberry
Nikyscreations
DMC 3777




On Monday night, I met with some friends at Panera's and, I finished my first pair of knitted socks. Yeah! Back in March my friend offered to teach me how to knit a pair of socks. I was skeptical that a pair of socks could be made by these hands. My knitting skills that I learned back in elementary school days are just that, basic. She challenged me to teach her to tat a split ring and she would teach me how to knit a pair of socks. While I told her she had the harder end of the deal, she was confident, and we agreed. It took several weeks and some hand holding, knitting and tinking (un-knitting my mistakes) to get to this week. My lesson for her on the split ring took all of about 20 minutes. Now she just needs to practice to become proficient, and I have a wonderful pair of socks. A great deal around.
Premier Yarns
Serenity Sock Weight
Color: Chili

Thanks for stopping by,

  Gwen

4 comments:

Kaisievic said...

Very sweet strawberries and your socks look comfy.

Vickie said...

Love the color on the socks!
The strawberries look great. I have two waiting to be made up.

woolwoman said...

glad you mastered knitting socks Gwen - I am a fairly prolific knitter but socks has never been my favorite project. I have 1 sock syndrome (someone who finishes 1 sock and never does the 2nd one) . Love your examples of 3 ways to finish strawberry tops. Hope to maybe visit with Dixie Chapter in the fall. Mel

Julie said...

Well done knitting the socks, they are super.
Love the strawberries!